The Pen and Ink Journal (entry #7)



The Pen and Ink Journal (entry #7)


My Grimoire, the mysterious book of life at the Homestead





The animals I've drawn and colored are all animals 
within a two hour drive of our house. 
I could fill another entire journal of just South Florida animals, however this journal had to have some limits.

The Burrowing Owl is a protected small owl. They are so precious, all standing by their burrowed holes in the ground, looking so serious and almost angry.




I wish I could show you close up this Armadillo's eye. It is my favorite eye in the entire book.

Here you can clearly see the page numbers (that were the first thing I did to the book) and the simple line border around the edges.
 It was fun doing the research on these animals.
 I even learned a lot. 



The sweet Opossum. Usually rather ugly creatures,  she looked so cute while I was drawing her with all her babies. 
I think she has 8 babies hanging on her.

I used Pan Pastels in some of the shadowing on their faces.
Again, I tried to stay within a very limited color palette.
These pages with darker outside edges were done 
with a brown ink pad and a fat stencil brush. 
I rolled the brush around the pad, wiped some off, then
began brushing from the outside edge back into the page.

xo
karen




Comments

Popular Posts