Chalk Paint


 Annie Sloan Chalk Paint




I just finished using Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint for the first time. I painted the top of an old coffee table, in my family room with a color from ASCP called "Old Ochre".  Once again, I didn't want to spend money $$$$$$ on a (new) table, so after researching online I found a local distributer for all the colors I could possibly need.



 The steps were easy. 
Although they say it adheres to surfaces without sanding, I still did a light sanding, using a fine sandpaper. My past experiences made me do it. However, it was a very light and fast sanding, just to give the surface a little "tooth", as they say.


The table appeared very dated.



I applied the paint with an old (used) Purdy brush, (from Sherwin Williams or Home Depot)   following the grain of the wood. It drys very fast ~ so within two hours I applied a second coat.  Follow the directions on the can. 



I am very pleased with how it turned out. 
The hardest part (and what took the longest) was deciding  what color to use.

 :)

Next step was to sand down areas (using the fine sandpaper) to achieve a distressed look.  

Third step was to apply a light glaze so it wasn't so bright. My glaze is by "Valspar", but any glaze will work. I added several tablespoons of dark brown, acrylic paint (ratio of about 1 tablespoon of acrylic paint to 15 tablespoons of glaze) and mixed well. This solution should be very glazy and when applied ~ is almost sheer. You can always add another coat after the first dries, if you think it's not dark enough.  I applied the glaze using a piece of an old t-shirt. Wet the t-shirt first and squeeze out all the water. Again, follow the grain using long, even strokes. I started at one end and slid the rag the entire length of the table. 


above photo is the after...
below photo is the before...


The final step was the sealing of the table. A VERY important and necessary step.


 I did not choose to use the Annie Sloan Wax for the top and final coat.  The top of this table gets a LOT of abuse. We toss down the TV clicker, computers, plates and glasses (never thinking to use a coaster...) and after a little research I discovered that wax isn't always the best choice. I opted to use a product called "General Finishes High Performance". I used the WATER BASED, Satin. (Purchased through Amazon) I applied the top coat using a foam brush in the same direction as the grain. Follow the directions on the can. I applied about 4 coats. The Chalk Paint sucks this in pretty fast and I was looking for a soft "wax like" sheen. I figured I couldn't put on too many coats so each coat enhanced the finish a little more.  

Loving it!
xo
k

Comments

Popular Posts